Saturday, January 3, 2015

ODO 7726 miles


 

A potpourri of posts, beginning with my recent trip to the Bay Area (hence a slow down in posts since I could not {yet} drive the Spark from LA to SF). 

We stayed in Berkeley for about a week between Christmas and New Year's so I thought I'd look up my electric vehicle charging options, should I ever decide to move back to this part of the Bay. Well, I'm a little bit disheartened by my results - the screenshot on the lower right. Seriously, I count 4 charging station locations with two more coming. I am a proud Berkeley grad times three but am a little embarrassed that Berkeley is not leading the way with electric vehicle infrastructure. Especially compared to San Francisco on the left (equal area screenshot), a city that I think is more public transit oriented than Berkeley. A quick look at Berkeley's Climate Action Plan infographic shows no mention of electric vehicles. I really hope the 2014 update includes some concrete action for progress.

Next up, winter solstice. Out of curiosity, I thought I would check out the action from our solar panels. What I really wanted to see was if the shortest day of sunlight was noticeable as a turning point in our daily solar production. Well, I don't see it, at least not yet. I definitely see the dramatic winter drop-off but December 21-22 don't stick out as we swing back into longer days. I'm going to keep my eyes on it.

Lastly, a quick update on the local Tesla charging stations. 12 Tesla charging stations were recently installed at the local Westfield mall in Culver City (12/19). I was surprised and excited to see this advancement for EVs at the mall where I was dropped off at as a pre-teen to kill time. I swung by today to see if anyone was using them and found 5! Teslas charging at Fox Hills. I admit I was skeptical that this particular location would be successful. But I was wrong. Only one of the Tesla drivers decided it was best to sit in her car while it was charging, instead of shopping at JCPenney. Go Culver City!


No comments:

Post a Comment