Saturday, April 11, 2015

ODO 9826 miles

So, after a brief hiatus, I'm back with another post. My inspiration came from new lingo I picked up at the recent Plug-in Electric Vehicle (PEV) Collaborative Annual Meeting held at UCLA. "Dwell Time" came up in the conversation about picking the most effective location for public charging stations by focusing on places that people naturally stay long enough to get a useful charge. This term, while new, made complete sense to me because I am frequently disappoint/happy to find that the Clipper Creek charger at the local public library is being used right when I'm going to hang out there for a while. Translation, there is an optimal dwell time for public charging at the library. {Hint to Mayor Garcetti - get more public charging at the libraries. It is super popular and would be a great element to your Sustainable City pLAn.}

You can see from these photos what an alignment between public charging and dwell time looks like. The public chargers at the top of the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook were completely empty (top photo), as was the parking lot as a whole. People routinely park at the bottom and hike to the top and not vice versa. Sadly, this sets a bad example for public charging. On the other hand, the chargers at the Bacara Resort in Santa Barbara (bottom photo) were full with Teslas during my recent Wall Street Journal ECO:nomics conference. Talk about an alignment with dwell time. With the beautiful weather, delicious wine and food and fantastic spa and beach, nobody was going to leave Bacara in a hurry.

For my next post, I'll explain the other piece of lingo I picked up at the PEV Collaborative = "Butts in Seats." That one gave me the giggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment