Tuesday, May 27, 2014

ODO 3689 miles

 So my Chevy Spark EV came with OnStar, from whom I periodically get updates on how my car is running (tire too low? status of lithium ion battery?). One of the bonuses of these emails is that I get an Energy Efficiency dashboard. At the time of my last report, my mileage was 131 MPGe which saved me 26 gallons of fuel for 601 miles (23 mpg for a gas Spark?). More important to me is the estimated CO2 avoided = 507 lbs. With all the recent talk about California's cap and trade program (overview), I wonder when I will be able to sell carbon offset credits for driving an electric vehicle? The goal of CA's cap and trade is to return to 1990 levels of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2020. At this point, offsets are mostly forestry and livestock related. But, who knows, maybe California can get creative in the future? Will electric vehicle drivers band together to claim offsets? I'm going to keep track of my estimated CO2 avoided, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment