Tuesday, June 3, 2014

ODO 3873 miles

I saw this the other day and asked myself "What is this sign all about?" I even asked the construction workers installing the sign and I just confused with them EV jargon about networks and charging plans. Well, there is a new game in town (almost). Whole Foods in Westwood now has two EV charging stations where you can charge for free! With prime parking locations! It is part of this network of charging stations that are paid for, not by membership fees or hourly rates, by advertising revenue. Volta (http://www.voltacharging.com) is installing a network of charging stations in California, Arizona and Hawaii that are in high traffic areas. According to their "Find a Station" page, the closest one to me at the moment is in Otay Mesa. This is actually not a bad location for me, given my slight anxiety around visiting Tijuana without a place to charge. Locally, I certainly won't get a lot of juice while charging for 10 minutes while I shop at Westwood Whole Foods but I like the innovative idea for expanding the EV charging infrastructure. Are more Whole Foods chargers powered by advertising on the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment