Tuesday, December 2, 2014

ODO 7215 miles

"Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day?" To be honest, I feel the exact opposite right now. I think the rain should stay, at least for a little while. I had been doing my best to conserve water, including supporting the Los Angeles Waterkeeper's #DirtyCarPledge. But, according to this map, Culver City has gotten almost 1 inch of rain in the last 24 hours and almost 1 1/2 inches in the last 3 days. It looks to me that the Westside of LA is some sort of rain deflector, i.e. everywhere around us is getting more rain, but we'll take what we can get.


BUT, there is a down side to the rain for My Net Zero EV. What is it? Well, I decided to check the status of my solar panels, given the dense cloud cover that has produced our much needed rain. Status: Today, my solar panels have ceased to produce energy, as in only 1 watt hour. While this is not unexpected, I don't know how this temporary loss of productivity will affect my long-term net zero energy claim. My solar silver lining is that the panels will be wiped clean of the dirty film that blocks some of the sunlight from reaching the solar cells. Maybe, it will be a wash in the end (see what I did there...the clean panels will make up for the cloudy days, a wash - get it?).


No comments:

Post a Comment