Thursday, June 19, 2014

ODO 4173 miles

Wahoo! This was my first week at as an EDF Climate Corps fellow. While my projects focus on energy efficiency and alternative energy procurement, I immediately needed to assess the electric vehicle charging situation. This was especially important since my commute is very long (~40 miles) and my solar panels are in permitting review at the moment. So, I was both disappointed and pleased to discover that there is a waiting list (what! strong evidence of demand) for the free charging (what! strong support for EVs) where I work. I've put my name down on the waiting list for a four hour charging time slot in my parking structure. Let's see if that will happen in the 12-weeks I will be a Climate Corps fellow.

I was also surprised to see that my Spark was the first to be part of the EV charging network. So I decided to track down the 2013 sales of Spark EVs in California and Oregon, the only states these so-called compliance cars are being sold. According to Green Car Reports, my Spark is one of the 539 Spark EVs sold in 2013. Not surprisingly, the #1 car in the Amgen EV Charging network is the Nissan Leaf, which had 2013 sales of 22,160 according to Green Car Reports. Using those number, the Spark sales were only 2.4% of the Leaf sales. One caveat is that Spark sales started in June so the adjusted percentage may actually be double. 

The blog Plugincars advocates for Chevrolet to sell the Chevy Spark EV nationwide, similar to the Nissan Leaf availability. I agree, but that's a topic for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment