Wednesday, September 3, 2014

ODO 5333 miles

End of summer means camping + road trip. We went on a camping road trip this past Labor Day weekend and I spotted a Tesla Model S.... from British Columbia! So much for range anxiety - it is 1080 miles from Los Angeles to Vancouver, Canada. Now that trip would take me a LONG time in my Chevy Spark. Probably near four months as I logged 100 mile trips in between a minimum of eight hours of charging to full power. Not so with the Tesla. There is a network of Tesla's Superchargers across the US that provide a charge equivalent of 170 miles in 30 minutes. Better yet, some of these chargers are solar powered. Seems that Elon Musk had the idea of Net Zero Electric Vehicles way before yours truly. Here is the way he described his motivation on August 2, 2006 (eight years ago) in a blog post titled The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me): "(t)he overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainable solution." Great minds think alike? I'm definitely looking forward to Tesla's affordably priced family car. Vancouver here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment